Captain Mike's Travel Blog
Explore the World in Style with Captian Mike
Follow me on my next great adventure!
Shangri-la (the sailing yacht) boards her lift for Anacortes Yacht Charters in the Great Northwest. My friend Larry assisted our Driver, Jimmy to get her on the truck and tied down. Now Jummy and the lead car head from Ft. lauderdale to son, Ryan at Anacortes Washington. About 8 days, weather permitting. That's the mast in bubble wrap alongside the truck!
Shangri-la is out of the water for a bit and resting on blocks in Dania Cut, Ft. Lauderdale. The Florida crew, Larry Ledfert and brother in law, Ken Church safely helped me back her off the cargo ship and move 3 miles to Playboy Marina I stayed alone one more night with her in the staging well, so the next morning she would be unmasted and pulled out. She up on blocks and waiting till the truck comes for her on May26. She's a wide load gal, so can't be on the highway for the holiday. Then, next stop Anacortes by June 2. First NW charter is set for June 15. More tight scheduling... Hope she gets some Starbucks to keep her on schedule. No more island time!
After a long rest at Criwn Bay Marina in St. Thomas, Shangri -La left town on her first live-aboard cruise. Les and Captain Dan motored her aboard a flooded cargo ship that just hauls yachts between Europe, the Caribbean and Florida. It's really a drive on - drive off operation. 6 days later my Florida crew (Larry and Ken) drove her off... And in the same ship that I left her: take a look.
Ok, it's April and the Countdown begins. Crew is talking checklists ... Safety Equipment, toolkits, documentation, and even clothing and toiletries. Not much chatter for the latter cause this is a guys trip.
Even our base in Antigua is working the handover list including restocking, bottom cleaning and managing our necessary local purchases.
Here's our starting port: Jolley Harbour in Antigua, West Indies
We start assembling in Jolley Habour on April 6 and installing all our new gear on S/Y Shangri-La. More about the enhancements when we learn that they work?? So, the Countdown begins t-minus 5 days. Sail On!
Our sailing adventure on Shangri-la was more brief than we planned (just 10days). True. However, to share, our decision to rethink the length of the first segment Antigua to Ft. Lauderdale by sea, was really based on 2 factors:
1) Wear and tear of yacht. She was sailing really well, with high wind and seas at our back. We did stop in Ponce, to deal with our guage issues, but there, the local intelligence (backed up by recent bloggers) said Mona Passage was extremely rough and cluttered with debris. We all wanted, my son in Seattle and AYC, to get the yacht in the best possible condition.
2) Wear and tear on crew. Even though a couple of our crew are retired, everyone has time commitments of some kind. So, in our efforts to stay on course and on-time, our 11 hour/day pace was wearing on us. We had to consider that 2 of our next 3 days were scheduled to be all nighters and the youngest onboard is 57.
As anything in life worth trying, there are learnings. Ours, were many on this one, (including adventure and lasting memories) and now Shangri-la has a good revised plan that will cost us only a two week delay. Shangri-la will travel to Ft. Lauderdale on or about May 14 on a "float on & float off" transport ship (DYT Yacht Transport). Check it out.
From there, we are back on plan to truck her to Anacortes via our transport company from Gig Harbor. This is absolutely the right path to sailing next in the Great Northwest.
Photos and status yet to come around mid-May. Sail on!
today is a day to clean up getting everything off the boat, buttoned-down, cleaning it up getting our local people to watch it for the next couple weeks. Until the ship shows up to put her on his cargo and it and send it to Fort Lauderdale. I will meet her again in Port Everglades. When, well that's not a specific date yet... Just mid May.
I will continue this blog up until the yacht yet arrives in Anacortes Washington maybe not daily but as new information comes about and certainly photographs of logistics to move her 4000 miles.
Meanwhile ... Thanks to the Crew for always being involved with good communication to making the right calls. We can't for me but hopefully yu can ... Sail On!
8.5 hours of wind in face beat. Seas at 6 to 9 feet. At times this 19,000 pound girl seemed to be airborn. Anyway a ing day, Ike ur first day but totally at motor , into the wiind.
We settle into Criown Bay Marina at St Thomas at 4:39pn and said good bye to the seas for now.
Tomorrow, clean and make the ship right for riding the cargo ship to Fort Lauderdale.
Hi folks, it is with a heavy heart that I must let you know we will have to turn back from Ponce. We have been here at the Ponce yacht and fishing club for three days and have the final opinion from our electrician that the power surge has made permanent damage to the primary warning gauges. because we can't fix them, we can't go forward over the Mona Passage or the 28 hours to Provencialies Turks and Caicos. All in the crew have had input and continuous conversation about proceeding or turning back. We all agreed that if you can't proceed safely and in a reasonable timeframe then make the tough call to go to Plan B. Now, we are headed back a few days until we get to St. Thomas US Virgin Islands. Then, Shangri-La will wait until May 10 and be put on a cargo ship to Fort Lauderdale. This is a really cool ship that actually floods the top deck, allows the yacht to be sailed onto it and then stabilizes for the two day or three day trip to Fort Lauderdale. Apologies to Dave and Ryan, who were going to join us along the way in the Bahamas. These, are the tough calls that you have to make it times. Bummer. However, in the long run, this is best for Shangri-La and our future sails in the Great Northwest. We will continue to post until we make it back to St. Thomas. Sail On!
PS see the next photo to understand why this island is called the Isle de Gatos?
ok , now in a back Trac along the Caribbean side of Puerto Rico. 10 hours of motoring to the east end. Seas 4 to 6 feet and right in our face.
Our mid way stop on our way back to St. Thomas is Palmas del Mar.
Beautiful upscale Marina and condo village. This would have been a better place to be stuck than Ponce. But those problems are part of the adventure.
Tomorrow, we will motor upwind to St. Thomas at Crown Bay Marina and prepare Shangri-la for her cargo tanker to Ft. lauderdale.
nearing the end of their work day, both the rigger and electrician showed up. Evaluations and a plan were formulated. Both are supposed to be here again this morning and we will see what we have from there.
This wait and see approach is not easy on former U.S. Business men sailors who are used to answers now and just get it done results. We will deal with it.
This does give us more planning time for our game plan for Mona Passage. Time of day, weather, next anchorage, etc.
The weather is great here sunny skies light winds in the morning pretty big wins in the afternoon. At the moment we don't see that changing as we head around to the end of the island hopefully tomorrow morning.
Happy Tax Day!
One hurdle complete and better than new.
Today is a no go. We will have two mechanics out to fix our issues.A shackle the boom that holds the Boomvang busted yesterday early.and a pop sound on the electrical board is just knocked out our gauges. Everything else works it just doesn't show on the idiot lights.
So just like in any island time we believe both mechanics will show up sometime today, but you never know.
More in a bit.